Jay Challenge

The ramblings of Team Weak and Feeble (Sven Cole, Dennis Morgan, Josh Mac, Nick Lebel, and Abe Wrobleski) as we prepare for the Jay Challenge mountain bike race.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Training log


Great day today, plenty of wind, plenty of hills, plenty of hours in the saddle- yup I'm sore.

The day started with Abe, Dennis, and I intending to ride for four hours. Abe and my boss, Nancy was going to join us for the first loop and then the rest of us would reload on water and food and head out for the remaining ride. We started off with a trip up Thorne Hill, which I'm not sure was appreciated by everyone- but hey we're going to climb 10,500 feet in one day in July- we'd better get used to things going up!

The ride was good, but there were so vicious sections of headwind. Of course there were also sections of tailwind but I usually like to think that when I'm flying along it has to do with my legs not the 25mph tailwind. Wishful thinking.

We wrapped up our first loop in about an hour and twenty minutes. We knew Nancy was peeling off- but much to our surprise Abe bailed as well. He had to be home around 11am (it was 8:30am)- I'm sure Abe will post his defense- but it should be known his bailout created good fodder for conversation between Dennis and I for the next two and a half hours. We cruised up Westside to Passaconway and rode that up to the Kanc- the gates not open but it's passable- just watch all the road debris. Once we hit the Kanc we kept going uphill until Rocky Gorge. We spun around to head back down to Conway and from just west of Albany Bridge down to Abenaki Way we FLEW. It was fun- I'll be the first to admit it was a tailwind as we were riding along at close to 40mph for about ten minutes- that felt good. Then Dennis or I, I'm not sure which, decided to ride up to Darby Field Inn to see if we could find our buddies new house up there- did anyone know there's a major hill there- damn! After a good cyclocross section and a downhill townline sprint (point to Dennis) we came back out to RT 16 and began heading back to town. All was good until about 3 and half hours in- I was starting to get mentally fatigued- but we managed to keep it going and didn't wrap things up until we hit 4:01 of actual ride time. So that's the long ride so far for the season- just think we only need to add about another five hours for Jay.

Oh yeah- Dennis and I both hit McDonalds for a post ride snack- oh yeah.


sc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home