Jay Challenge

The ramblings of Team Weak and Feeble (Sven Cole, Dennis Morgan, Josh Mac, Nick Lebel, and Abe Wrobleski) as we prepare for the Jay Challenge mountain bike race.

Monday, July 03, 2006

The weekend

July is here. Gulp. I’m getting a bit twitchy as we begin the final countdown. Have we done enough? Have we done the right kind of work? Are we dialed in on nutrition? Are we dialed in on gear? Argh the list goes on.

Didn’t ride to much this weekend, not sure why just didn’t. A1 and I got out on road bikes for a couple spins. Saturday morning we did a 5am rip up Mill Street and then to the top of Old County Road, where we then spun around and ripped back. A1 had a need to ride fast so I just tried to hold on as he was pushing the big ring up every hill he could find. Not I, I would just watch that gap grow as he pulled away. When we got back to his place he hooked me up with some coffee pods (I was out- what a neighbor) and we planned to ride dirt later in the day. I went for another short little spin just to get the total ride time up to 1.5 hours and then headed home to enjoy homeowner fun.

Needless to say we never connected for an afternoon ride. Sunday A1 and I yet again connected early- although this time it was a more reasonable 6am ish time frame. I was riding down to my in-laws and A1 was going to tag along for a bit and then loop back. It was a typical TWAF ride- in the rain. We battled for a few town lines with A1 getting me on a good one, and I think I snagged the rest. He was still hell bent for metal on the climbs pushing his big ring while I sat back and spun away. He peeled off in Tamworth and I continued on down 25, a road I’d never ridden before but based on JJ’s recon a couple weeks ago when he pedaled down to Concord I figured I’d give it a go. It wasn’t too bad but I wouldn’t have minded a lack of rain! I was trying out the Perpetum from Hammer for the first time and it seemed to do the trick. Can’t say I was digging the taste, but I liked the way it was working.

I eventually got to where I was going but after a quick call to my support team (Karen and the kids) I realized they had gotten a slow start and would be an hour behind- and they had my clothes! With that in mind I checked in with my in-laws and realized my brother in-law was out riding. That was what I needed to hear, filled my water bottle and headed back out to try and track him down. The only issue was the roads sucked and after a few miles I gave up and did a tour around Governors Island and headed back- I snagged another 45 minutes or so of riding, taking my total for the day to 3.5 hours of saddle time. For the weekend I got 5 hours but that was about four hours short of what I had hoped to ride.

Then this morning commuting in I felt dead, so I’m not sure what that is all about. Tomorrow is the Four on the 4th running race, so that will be fun and Thursday is race one of the Summer Series up at Great Glen. Busy week.

By the way TWAF t-shirts will be here this week. One for $15 or two for $25, interested shoot me an email sven@glengroup.com. We’ll post a few photos of TWAF member sporting the new duds once they get her.

That’s it from me.

DEA


ps- as a side note this is the 300th post to the blog, is that a milestone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home