Jay Challenge

The ramblings of Team Weak and Feeble (Sven Cole, Dennis Morgan, Josh Mac, Nick Lebel, and Abe Wrobleski) as we prepare for the Jay Challenge mountain bike race.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Good point

I just read JJ's post and he made a good point, that tomorrows are becoming rare. That's an interesting way to look at the fact that the Jay Challenge is coming right up, in fact July 30th is only 38 days away. Wow, that's not very many days my friends.

I feel in many ways this event has become all consuming, but in a good way. What started as a conversation about "this sick race up in Vermont" turned to a conversation about registration being open, and before we knew it we were all signed up and calling ourselves Team Weak and Feeble.

But now we're marching towards the real thing. Each mile pedaled, each foot of vertical climbed is being done to reach a goal, and a lofty one at that. I'm curious how the other competitors look at the event. I wonder if they are as intimidated as we are by the amount of climbing as well as the distance. I wonder if any have read the story about us and think we don't stand a chance at finishing, or do they think that we've busted our asses and have a great shot at finishing. I just don't know. I do know that I'm in the best shape I've been in for a real long time. In fact I'm looking forward to continuing in building upon this base. I know I've had a chance to log many hours in the saddle with what started as good friends and now I consider great friends. I know that I've gotten very used to seeing the world at 4am, and it no longer feels strange to be out on my bike at 5am knowing that I won't be back until sometime between 11 and noon. I've got more usernames and passwords at various online bike shops, nutrition stores, blogs, and who knows what else. I've had more conversations with our local LBS's about tire choice, trails, and how crazy this whole thing is (along the way talking Ron from Bob and Terry's into doing the race as well- he'll finish a couple of hours ahead of us!)

Is it to early to say this is a life changing experience? I don't know. I do know that all the people who have said that we are crazy and that they never could do something like this are very wrong. They can. The five of us are just regular guys, we have families, full time jobs, second jobs, maybe even a third job, we drink beer, we aren't afraid of donuts on Sunday's or McD's on a road trip. What we do have is a collective drive that has pushed all of us to rider faster and farther then we thought we could.

Team Weak and Feeble isn't just about us- it's about all of you who dare to dream.


DEA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home