Jay Challenge

The ramblings of Team Weak and Feeble (Sven Cole, Dennis Morgan, Josh Mac, Nick Lebel, and Abe Wrobleski) as we prepare for the Jay Challenge mountain bike race.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Final Prep

I can't say this morning started the way I had intended. JJ and I had inteneded to meet at 5am, a half hour past our original starting time. Let's just say that when I opened my eyes I was a bit confused by how bright it was. Imagine that- it's fairly bright out at 5:30am! I jumped out of bed and ran downstairs to start frantically getting dressed just as JJ called to figure out where the hell I was. So a piece of bread with peanut butter and a red bull and I was out of the house and we started our little epic adventure (and JJ had a nice half hour warm up and an extra seven miles in his legs by the time we got started).

I won't go into great detail as I'm sure JJ will have a comprehensive report with a map and stats (maybe we need to re-name him Dr. Data?) But I will say it was a great ride, and I learned a few things- 1) wake up on time to ensure you go through your normal pre-ride routine (no further explanation on why that is so important!), 2) when you're going to be out for close to 8 hours remember sunscreen!, 3) while sprinting for town lines is fun, know what you're going to feel like post sprint after seven hours in the saddle, 4) over time all these energy foods start to taste like crap.

I'm pleased, the final big ride before Jay (for me at least- next weekend I'm planning on ONLY a four hour dirt ride)- 120 miles, 7500 feet of climbing, and close to 8 total hours out on course. If I'm not ready for Jay by now there isn't much more I can do!

Now starts the fine tuning and active rest. We have the GGTOC summer series (TWAF is in first!), we have a race at Cranmore on the 20th that is a part of the RJC summer series, and we have Jay. A couple weeks later it's the 24 Hours of Great Glen- so we are here world- Team Weak and Feeble!

I'm gonna say right here that last December I think if someone told me I'd be doing the kind of riding we've been doing I would have thought they were nuts! And I've got to say this as well- a huge thanks to K and the girls for putting up with my training and tired legs. At least there is less of me to love now!

Time for a beer.


Dr. Evil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home